Thursday, October 27, 2011

dovecot ssl nightmare...

Earlier this evening I was playing around with the idea of a free SSL. Everything was working fine as I stumbled through the cert authority's site. Since it was open source it was definitely not intuitive in any aspect. Which is fine; these are the sacrifices you make when trying to go for the cheap.

After generating my cert I installed it into our server. Prior to this I had a image made just incase.

Installed.

Green! Everything checks out. FANTASTIC!

Remove my mail account and re-add it.

Mail begins to not populate from the inbox. All others are fine.

Check webmail.

Inbox is empty.

Drat.

Fair enough-- Ill restore from my backup.

Backup did not grab my inbox, because it was in use by IMAP...

TERROR.


OK, breathe deep. I can get through this.

Following this, I began a little look around. Why were these messages gone? And if so, where did they get moved to? Obviously the server would not just delete them entirely- That would be stupid.

I navigate to my box. I find it and attempt to open it. "Permission denied in use". A little sudo and I am in.
Now here's where it gets interesting.
ls -lah
.DeletedMessages
cd .DeletedMessages/
ls-lah

all of my inbox. Whew!

now for a little copy and back to the current file.

success! All messages back and all is well.

Interesting how much the finder hides from you even when viewing invisible files.

Jony


No comments:

Post a Comment